View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Q9s, big pot, how would you play this flop?

I think in the particular game you describe your cold-call pf can be marginally profitable. I would make it at certain Party 2/4 tables.

I think it quickly becomes unprofitable in stronger games, or if there's a decent chance UTG will LRR.

In stronger games your Q9 straight will sometimes be losing to KQ or AQ, yuor flush could be second best, and your top pair value with this many players will be almost nil.

Before you decide to cold call a marginal hand like this I think you want to also have a read on how aggressively the table is treating large pots post flop. You are likely to need to get to the river to make your hand and it could get very expensive.

I'm not a fan of the flop raise. Calling gives you odds to see the river for 1 Bet each street and is more likely to keep other opponents padding the pot with their SB's. The small chance of buying a free card is offset by the customers lost and the small chance you are betting into a set of 8's or 5's.

I doubt you are folding hands with 2 overcards in a pot this big, and QT isn't folding the other half of your gutshot draw, so I don't think you buy any outs with the raise. (Assuming KQ or AQ would stay for the flop, you only gain from KT or AT when both a Q AND an overcard come runner-runner).

So I call the flop, check/call the turn, and fold river UI.