View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Racism in the NBA and NFL

Gonores, your replies have been most thoughtful and well-conceived. I take your point about basketball and football being harder to scout than baseball or hockey.

Also, yeah...I know there are minor league options. That's why I've been careful to use the word "viable." My contention is that none of the minor league options presently available to these kids is a viable means of achieving major league status (as evidenced by your paragraph about NBDL).

My further contention is that unless and until these two leagues are willing to invest the money that it would take to create viable, major-league-attached minor league teams and leagues...they ought not close the door of job opportunity to anyone qualified to play the game at the top level based on something as arbitrary as age...certainly not to protect owners and GM's from themselves. There are big boys we're talking about. They should go one way or another. But closing their doors to a certain age group leaves college as the only "viable" alternative...and as long as college persists to be a form of indentured servitude for some kids, I'm against them being practically forced into that system.

But thank you for your comments...do you have a background in sports management at some level?