Thread: Bill O'Reilly
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Bill O\'Reilly

[ QUOTE ]
But at the same time, is usually pretty smart on his subjects. Obviously it isn't just him, he has to have a terrific research team that helps him know what he does. But, his facts are usually pretty well right, his opinions and arguments are based on evidence, and he does a good job (though loud and arrogant) of destroying other people's fallacies.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is flat untrue and frankly disappointing to read. Let me clear on this point, this isn't a matter of political disposition, this is a matter of fact. Saying the O'Reilly's arguments are sound and based on reliable evidence is factually incorrect.

O' Reilly constantly lies, makes arguments that have no basis in logic and is notorious for getting the facts wrong. He often (very often!) simply makes things up on his show if he thinks they will help his cause.

Also, his arguments are full of logical fallacies (most obviously of the ad hominem and poisoning the well variety, but many other ones as well). If I were a getting a masters in philosophy, I could easily write a thesis just on logical fallacies in one month of 'The Factor'.

This report from CBC (can watch in whole online), contains some "classic" O'Reilly. My favorite moment is when he not only makes up a statistic which is false, he also makes up a non-existent publication and names it as the source.