View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: For My Buddy Grey One More Time - Civil Unions and Gay Marriage

[ QUOTE ]

Well...I oppose gay marriage on moral grounds, but not legal ones. That said, what you seem to imply is that our only fair choices are a)do away with the Equal Protection Clause; or b)do away with marriage as a legal institution in this country.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with either implication, nor any of your statements. I actually am undecided...it's certainly a point worth pondering. But...how could we possibly proceed with a) or b)...hypothetically, of course, since I think both of them have less chance of happening than total drug legalization.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really... The answer is c) The judiciary does not have authority to define what marriage is only the legislature. I am against it on moral and legal grounds but I give more weight to it on legal grounds because of the implications to democracy. I don't really care if same-sex people are in love and do what ever it is that they want to do in the privacy of their own homes. When it begins to take a legal stance that is against democracy then i have a problem.

-Gryph