View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Absolute Morals and evolution

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It means something may be right for one person, and wrong for someone else, because of the a lot of factors (that I've listed).

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that, but the problem is that you're looking at specific actions instead of general principles.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the difference of opinion, right here, I think. To me, there is only one moral principle: "act with the intent to do good". So, when I say morality is subjective, I mean those intentions to do good, are based, in part, on various subjective factors. I would say that "good" is far more objective than "right". If we could measure happiness, "good" would just be a matter of taking a reading on the "happiness meter". But, to determine if an action was "right", we must get into the psyche of the person doing the action. To me, that's much more subjective, then.

[ QUOTE ]
subjective
adj

1: taking place within the mind and modified by individual bias; "a subjective judgment" (ant: objective)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
objective
adj

1: undistorted by emotion or personal bias; based on observable phenomena; "an objective appraisal"; "objective evidence" (ant: subjective)

[/ QUOTE ]