View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Absolute Morals and evolution

[ QUOTE ]
Then what in the world do you mean by "subjective" morality? To what standard would they be compared?

[/ QUOTE ]

By "subjective morality", I mean that whether an action is right or wrong, depends, in part, on the people involved: their motives & intentions -- which is based, in part, on their background, mental state, emotions, knowledge, and beliefs. And, I think values are, in part, based on those things.

Can you define what you mean by "subjective morality" and please explain thoroughly what you mean by "values".

[ QUOTE ]
They're morally equivalent because Fred doesn't care. It's his house.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're being inconsistent. Are the ends/results what justify an action as being moral or immoral (in this case, Fred doesn't care about the shoes, thus the ends are the same; but in the moving the neck-injured person, the ends are very different, but you said the "principle" was the same). So, which is it? The ends, or the principle (motives/intentions)?

In Fred's case, the principles were different: one person meant to respect Fred, one meant to disrespect Fred.

I say the ends/results is what determines "good" and "bad", but the principles/intentions/motives is what determines "right" and "wrong" (perhpaps not exclusively, as I've briefly mentioned before).