View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Racism in the NBA and NFL

[ QUOTE ]

I have a few responses...
First of all, WR is one of the toughest positions in the NFL, injury-wise. You're going full-speed and leaping into the air over the middle when you get drilled by a linebacker. So many serious injuries happen in this manner...if a WR can make it at 19, so can a lot of other positional players. Certainly kickers and punters, as well as physically-mature linemen possibly. I'm pretty certain you couldn't make it as an NFL QB without the experience...and certainly there are other positions on the field like that as well -- linebacker and CB come to mind.

Second of all, though (and more importantly)...if that is already the case (that very few players will be ready to play in the NFL at 18, 19, 20 years old)...why do we need a rule that prohibits ALL players from doing so? Are team owners and GM's SUCH bad judges of talent that they can't distinguish between a 19-year-old who is ready for the NFL versus a 19-year-old who is NOT ready for the NFL? Why punish the Mike Williams of the world? What gives anyone the RIGHT to punish the Mike Williams of the world (except for a horrible court ruling)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but you couldnt be any more wrong about other positions having a chance. I left kickers and punters out cause those arent real football positions, but theres no chance a lineman can jump from high school to the pros, its so much of a faster more physical game. Comparing the pros to high school is like high school to pee wees its that big a difference. The same goes for any defensive position, they would get pounded by almost anyone blocking them and completely run over. Their bodies are just not ready for that level.

The reason I brought up recievers as one of those with a 1% chance of making it is cause other then getting jammed at the line of scrimmage they have to deal with the physical nature of the game less then basically any other position, unlike linemen who have it every play. The reason WRs are so injury prone is it usually comes hits when they are in odd positions and those that they cant defend themselves, most of which the player himself cant avoid no matter what.

Now to your second point, what do you suggest they do? Have a screening process to see who is ready? Theres no way they can know without them actually playing in the NFL. You cant tell by the high school and first year college. Let me say Im not pulling this out of my ass, I know people of different positions then were one of the best at what they did at the college level, but when they made it to the NFL they just couldn't hang, and this is after all those years in college. This is why the rule is there that people must have those extra years to prepare themselves.