View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Top pros and their strengths/weaknesses

Here are some things I've noticed in the games of these top pros by watching them play on TV. I'm not claiming they are 100% accurate, only mere observations. I'm curious to see if anyone else has made similiar observations.

Phil Hellmuth: his weakness is his tilt threshold which is very low. Also, his egocentricity is a big weakness. He tends to think nobody else at the table can play. Consequently he tends to think everytime he gets beat it is a bad beat, when it really isnt. He seems to expect to win every hand he plays, which in poker is impossible. His strengths are his ability to put players on hands and react accordingly, and his ability to make a huge laydown.

Sam Farha: He plays some questionable holdings, especially when he has alot of chips. He is easily bluffed out on the river even with considerably good hands, especially if the board becomes scary (i.e. Chris Moneymaker). His strengths are his hand reading ability and also being unreadable due to the high volume of hands he plays.

Howard Lederer: the guy is so intelligent I imagine he 2nd guesses himself alot. He seems to be so internally focused that he may miss what may be the simple and obvious play, especially against amateurs. His strengths are his ability to make good decisions, as well as his ability to bluff effectively.

Erik Seidel: seems somewhat bored with playing poker, as if he has lost the joy of the game and is just working. His strengths are his game consistancy, seemingly unaffected by short runs of luck, and his overall strategy.

Phil Ivey: very few weaknesses, except for a subtle tendancy to steam after a bad beat, although it usually passes after a couple hands. His strengths are his ability to make good decisions and adjust appropriately to other players styles.

Layne Flack: highly likely to bluff too often. His strengths are his heads up play, his hand reading and his ability to bluff effectively. His strengths sometimes backfire when other players set traps for his fast style of play or when they play back at him with nothing.

Dan Harrington: possibly too tight, not getting excess action. Strengths are hand selection and likelihood of succeeding with a big bluff.

Doyle Brunson: likes to take control of the pot and the table. Uses the all-in move very often. Not necessarily a weakness. Can be trapped more often than others. Strengths are ability to use excess chips and create a firestorm that can run over the table.

TJ Cloutier: seems like he's on a very long run of bad cards. Seems too willing to go broke on marginal hands. Doesnt seem to pay too much mind to what other players hold. Strengths are overall tournament strategy.

Chris Ferguson: another egocentric person, his weaknesses are few, if any.

Men Nguyen: higher than average tendancy to gamble.

Daniel Negreanu: higher than average tendancy to play small suited connected cards. Strengths are excellent overall strategy and hand reading ability.

Johnny Chan: less than average tendancy to bluff. Ability to bet marginal hands for full value. Occassionally can get trapped. Strengths are ability to vary game and adjust to opponents (i.e. vs Erik Seidel in wsop)

If you have any additional comments, feel free to add.

-J