View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Variance at Micro Limits

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are, aren't they? I noticed last night that I do have a tendency to not bet when the flop misses me, even if I'm sitting on two overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be very careful to count all your outs when the flop misses you with two big cards. I wouldnt avocate bluffing into 4 or more players, but a semi bluff when the flop misses you if you have 6-9 outs to top pair or better is fine. It conceals your hand a lot better than calling, rather than hitting raise when an ace comes. Keep in mind you may still have the best hand with just the overcards. They cant fold if you arent betting....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why are you only check raising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that after I posted it, and made a deliberate effort to change that behavior in last night's session.

Generally, these are checkraises for value against opponents who simply don't know what hit them. Usually, I'm out of position, bet a strong hand on the flop, get raised, and just flat call. If the turn is a brick, I checkraise. Almost every single time they call the checkraise and then call my river bet with TPTK. I feel like I'm extracting an extra bet from them by doing this; if I three-bet the flop they'll slow down, and if I call and bet out again they'll slow down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having no check raises on the flop tells me that you might not be protecting your vulnerable made hands enough. It also shows you might be missing a lot of bets. If the field is reasonably large and the pot is OK get the bets in the best way you can, unless you have a monster.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should try checkraising the river on a pure bluff a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing in loose games against guys making constant mistakes you dont need to try and buy pots you dont deserve. It might work now and again, but before you know it it could turn into a huge leak. Be very careful with this. Beginners think this is a really clever poker play. Its not.