View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Variance at Micro Limits

[ QUOTE ]

What is the average %flop of the tables you play on. You are almost certainly playing too many hands and/or raising too much. Your vpip is too high for a tight table and your pfr if too high for a loose table.

[/ QUOTE ]

These tables are not tight at all. Loose and passive describes them best. Unfortunately I can't get at my data right now, but later I can look up the averages.

I do know my pfr is way too high; it's almost twice as high as the average and the only ones higher I see in my data have too few hands logged to paint an accurate picture.

So -- I should raise preflop less. I'd like to know more about the whys and wherefores of this. Can you explain it some? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

What are you scared of? These are pretty passive numbers for first action on the flop after a pfr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are, aren't they? I noticed last night that I do have a tendency to not bet when the flop misses me, even if I'm sitting on two overcards.

[ QUOTE ]
why are you only check raising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that after I posted it, and made a deliberate effort to change that behavior in last night's session.

Generally, these are checkraises for value against opponents who simply don't know what hit them. Usually, I'm out of position, bet a strong hand on the flop, get raised, and just flat call. If the turn is a brick, I checkraise. Almost every single time they call the checkraise and then call my river bet with TPTK. I feel like I'm extracting an extra bet from them by doing this; if I three-bet the flop they'll slow down, and if I call and bet out again they'll slow down.

Last night I checkraised the flop twice just to get a feel for what its effects are. I think that in these games it might be a great tool for getting a free turn card. It seems to me that in these games, a checkraise is such a rare play that it almost always means true strength. I've used the play a lot more often than it has been used against me, and when it is used against me the alarm bells ring.

Maybe I should try the value checkraise on the river a couple times instead of always "springing the trap" on the turn. Maybe I should try checkraising the river on a pure bluff a few times.