View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: \"Rocky Balboa\" (Rocky VI is being made)

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about a 55 year old Rocky or whatever. I mean, hooray for dreams and all, but Rocky (and Stallone) are closer to geriatric age than they think. I'm not ready for Rocky with man-tits, and the thought of him taking steroids makes me more sad than admiring. It's time for Rocky to be a trainer, getting the drama from trying to change somebody else into a winner, and come by his own victories indirectly. A little reflection on how great warriors age and try to pass the mantle on to others could have been nice, if Stallone were a little better writer maybe. There's an incredible amount of drama, triumph, and heart ache in boxing without Rocky himself having to win while draping himself in a flag again. Stallone may have slipped, but his vision can be trite and narrow, too, perhaps leading to his own undoing here.

We'll see, I guess. We didn't need to see Eastwood fight in Million Dollar Baby, and I don't think we really need to see Rocky fight now, to make a good boxing movie, and to even gain a newfound affection for Rocky. I think he's heading down a dead end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put, but I think he's going to look a lot younger than you think. He will be 60 when this films, but the guy looks like he could pass for the age he'll be playing, which I'm guessing is something like a George Foreman comeback type age, and that's without any dressing up he'll receive on screen.

I'm just glad that they're going to at least try to undo what they did with the fifth movie. Some would say they're going to try to undo everything that happened since the first.

It almost certainly won't be an Oscar winner, but I think this movie has a much better shot at being great than people think right now.