Thread: KIm Chee
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 04:10 AM

Default Re: KIm Chee

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm bumping into some recipes on the net, but they say let it sit for 2 days or so. I thought you were supposed to let it sit for a lot longer than that. Does anyone know if just a couple days is enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 days and it tastes overwhelmingly cabbage-y and predominantly salty. The longer it sits the tangier it gets. When my mom would make it in the fall it would last the rest of the year. When I said she made tubs of it, I mean tubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

Maybe I should try making it. If she could make tubs, obviously she didn't have to store it all in the fridge, so maybe I could keep the extras somewhere out of the way without devoting an huge portion of fridge space just to kimchi. The ingredients are super cheap, which is cool, too.

I've never had kimchi as anything but a side dish, that I can recall. I'd like to check out its use in soups, etc. The Hawaiian dude above who suggested using it on hamburgers made me want to try that too. I'm from Hawaii and that's where I first started eating it, but never tried that.