Thread: why golf sucks
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: why golf sucks

[ QUOTE ]
Golf is so stupid about keeping score. Why on Earth don't they understand that when you have a televised tournament with officials all over the place, you don't have to make players sign cards and all of this nonsense?

I also don't know why Michael Bamberger got involved in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's always been the dichotomy I've never been happy with at the PGA tour. They keep (rightfully so) to the maxim of each player keeping an honest score, calling their own penalties, etc. That is at the heart of the game.

Then, they let decisions like this, with an outside observer essentially calling a penalty on a player, stand. They did it a couple times in the past with TV viewers CALLING IN and having a player DQ'd. (If I remember properly, one was Craig Stadler kneeling on a towel and another was (maybe Davis Love?) wiping dew to improve lie (or stance)). Both are clearly rules violations, but having outsiders call them in, that's over the line.

It is up to players, competitors, and rules officials to officiate the game. Not Fat Harvey sitting on his couch drinking his PBR calling the CBS switchboard.