View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Moral dilemma? (When a low-limit fish challenges you HU)

[ QUOTE ]
The value of money is subjective. That $30 may have amounted to twice his total net worth, in which case your $5 win took a huge chunk out of him. Or he may have been a multibillionaire. You are trying to judge the value of a loss of a certain amount of money based on your idea of what that money is worth, but the loss means something different to each person based on how much they have. I don't understand why you would try to judge money this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to judge money, just explaining a bit further my rationale, or lack thereof. I found (find) it odd that I would have felt bad for taking $30 from the guy in a heads up hold'em match, but didn't feel at all bad for taking $5 from him (or 1/6th of his current bankroll, on that site at least) in a full ring game of pineapple. I suppose that part of that could stem from the fact that I rarely play pineapple and wouldn't consider myself at all good at the game; but I still recognized that I was quite a bit better at it than he was.

In a way, though, I can see your point and I suppose that it reinforces my OP...if the guy had $200 on the site vs. the $30 he said he had, I suppose that I reckoned that the $200 would mean a lot more to him than to me, at least in a bankroll sense (his net worth may indeed be considerably higher than mine). Again, though, I've gladly sat in at a table while somebody went through buy-in after buy-in (with pauses in between that made it fairly obvious he was reloading his account each time).

Actually, I think I've figured it out...I guess it's a sort of "turf" thing. I consider LHE, or at least the limits I play at & below, to be "my turf"...anyone who steps into it is fair game. So if I'm sitting at a table, or happen to see a LHE table with one or more live ones at it, I have no problem taking their money. But in this case, I was on neutral ground and somebody who probably had no business on "my turf" made a friendly offer to play me, and I shied away because I was content to keep the game where it was.