View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: sam farha vs. (unknown) day1 wsop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EV is everything in every situation, tournament or no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense. Read my post again.

*edit: or if you don't take my word for it (which incidentally has nothing to do with me - I didn't discover the St. Petersburg Paradox, regrettably), here's what Saint Sklansky says in Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, p. 18: "Balancing your quest for extra EV and your quest for survival is a major factor in proper tournament strategy. In a sidegame, this will not be a major consideration since you should almost always have enough money to keep playing (even if you have to reach into your pocket for more). That will often not be the case in a tournament and we will shortly see that some of the standard sidegame plays that you are used to making are not always correct at the tournament table."

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't need to read it again, i read it perfectly. And yes, cEV isn't the be-all-end-all in tournaments, but $EV still is penultimate, tournament or no. That is there are situations you can pass on certain +cEV plays (specifically plays with high volatility), you can never pass on +$EV, and this call is likely both.

Once again, what is it about risking 1/22 of your stack with the possibility of nearly doubling it that is such an egrerious error?