Thread: Correct ruling?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Correct ruling?

well the "rule" that "your hand is dead if you show it before the showdown" isn't a rule at all. Rather this is a misconception that many have gotten into their heads that it's a "rule."

In TDA rules, it states...

"A player who exposes his cards during the play may incur a penalty, but will not have his hand killed."

"Penalties available for use by the TD are verbal warnings, 10, 20, 30, and 40 minutes away from the table and may be used with discretion. These may be utilized up to and including disqualification. A player who is disqualified shall have his chips removed from play. "

Few cardrooms actually have ANY specific written rule regarding this situation, and I highly doubt that any that DO would have it written that someone's hand would be DEAD.

However, that doesn't clear up the misconceptions that abound with this rule. They are rampant. Your angle shooters are constantly trying to invoke this "rule" and your dealers and floors are confused on the matter as well. Of course a floor's decision IS final, but that doesn't mean it's always correct.

A penalty should possibly be invoked if this is done in a tournament, although usually a warning on the first incident, especially if it's a small tournament with inexperienced players. Little should be done (other than perhaps a warning) in a live game. I personally don't mind the tactic as long as it's heads up and not multi-way, though I am not suggesting it as the BEST course of action. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Of course if there IS a specific written rule regarding this in your local cardroom, you should follow the "rule." Also, if there is a chance the floor/dealers are not up to speed on this issue, you should consider that too.

al