Thread: NL v. limit
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: NL v. limit

[ QUOTE ]
1. It is not sexy and exciting to have a better understanding of probability than your opponents and to crush them over time by repeatedly pushing edges.

2. Missing from this discussion is the point that in NL, a bad player can reduce a better player's edge on later streets by pushing all-in, whereas in limit games one has to learn how to develop a solid post-flop game, which I think a lot of inexperienced players who watch on TV are inherently uncomfortable with.

3. Sure, that decision to call on the river is only one BB, but when that BB is equal to $200, the decision suddenly carries a lot more weight.

4. Think about it -- if NL were the true test of a player's ability, why are all of the Big Game players all playing limit??

[/ QUOTE ]

1. How do you think most NL pros make their living? Sexy and exciting has nothing to do with it. Pushing edges is how you win. Also, FWIW understanding how to bluff or force a bad call in NL is pushing an edge.

2. Any good NL player will tell you the majority of his profit comes from post flop play. It is true that a bad player can go all in on later streets, but a good player will know to adjust and will end up with the bad player's stack eventually by utilizing hand range and pot odds calculations.

3. High limit games do play differently, but that $200 BB is still just one BB. If the BB being worth $200 as opposed to $20 makes the decision carry more weight, you aren't thinking about the game properly.

4. I'm assuming most of the players in that group would agree that some sort of deep stack HU match would be the best way to test each players ability. Point being, they aren't necessarily playing the game that is the true test of a player's ability. As far as I know, they play mixed games, with NL being one of the games.