View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: OT: Thinking out of the box and about players and situations

I have a friend who is terrible at poker. Every week he loses money at our home game (I know this is the case because another friend has been tracking everyones results) against some extremely weak opposition. Also, having watched quite a few of his stt's I am fairly confident he's losing money playing on-line, and I'm absolutely sure he plays way too high for his ability.

However, he doesn't think he is terrible. In fact, he thinks he is bloody brilliant.

Last night I watched him place 2nd in a $25K GTD MTT. He actually should of won it, going into HU with a 4 to 1 chip lead, but through some terrible play he managed not to get lucky and blew the win.

Thing is, he doesn't even understand how lucky he was to get as far as he did. I watched him make some horrendous errors and get lucky. And I don't mean simply winning coin-flips or dominated hands (although he did win plenty of them).

He had a huge amount of hidden luck where his terrible play didn't get him into massive amounts of trouble (and when it did he sucked out). But he will not see that at all.

Don't ever discount the possibility that you may not be as good as you think you are and that the result you got from your big tourney may just have been a complete fluke.

Enjoy!

PS. Anyone that uses the term 'thinking outside the box' is a proper knob in my book.