Thread: NL v. limit
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: NL v. limit

[ QUOTE ]
Can't say which is easier or harder...but...

NO-LIMIT is WAAAY more profitable if you know what you are doing.

You can make so much more money on your big hands, amounts not possible in limit. Example: yesterday I bet 3x the pot with quads. My opponent called with top full. I made 50BB's (big bets) on the river alone. That's close to 2500 hands of profit at limit (2BB/100).

There are people out there making in the range of 10BB/100 in no-limit. Due to the restricted betting in limit poker, this is just not possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a worthless example because, no matter how skilled you are, there is just as good a chance that you will one day be on the losing side of that equation.

I don't think either game is easier or harder. I think for an expert player, NL is a more potentially profitable game because they can extract the most possible money off of weaker players. For anyone else, I think its a toss-up - in NL, you will suffer some horrible beats that can kill you - and in limit, you do not have the same potential for big victories.

The way I look at it is that in limit, you are at the mercy of the odds. If the pot is 10BB and you hold top pair, there is no way that you can put someone in a situation where it is not correct to call with a draw to an outside straight or a flush.

In NL, your goal is to correctly DICTATE the odds to suit your situation. So if you hold top pair and you think your opponent is on a flush draw, you can bet to make it incorrect for them to play their draw. Similarly, if you have a full house, you can bet so that it is correct for them to play their draw.

Personally, I think that a lot of people here are simply making up reasons why they think NL is better when, if they were being honest, the truth is that they like it more because they have the opportunity to be more aggressive and to push people around - its a power thing.