View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Chasing the trifecta

A random thread of thought in my brain has been whether or not you should ever actually pull off a trifecta (three check-raises postflop) when you are playing to maximize your EV. One part of my brain believes that the game-theory optimal solution to poker must obviously include this line some percentage of the time. Another part can't actually find the time when you it's correct.

I played this hand yesterday, and had a small "Eureka!" moment, describing conditions when it might be best to go for it. Here's the hand:

MP limps. I complete in the SB w/ Q9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB checks.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

It's checked to the big blind who autobets. I check-raise. The BB check-3-bets, the limper gives up, and I call.

Turn: something small

I check-raise.

River: something small

Now, in the hand, I bet and was called, but it occurred to me later that the SB may well have a hand strong enough to bet if I check to him, but one that isn't quite comfortable 3-betting the turn, since he check-3-bet the flop. In the actual hand, he showed Q4o, and I knew I'd missed a golden opportunity.

Look for the trifecta when the you flop a very strong hand in an unraised pot against an opponent who shows a lot of true flop strength.

my 2 cents.
Eric