View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: 77 river decision

[ QUOTE ]
My hand's almost identical to that hand problem. SSH advocates betting into 4 players in that situation, why wouldn't we here.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this example only one player has checked leaving 3 people to act behind you and in the book 2 have already checked and 2 are left to act. This has some negative effects. First, you are more likely to be called by someone who has position on you. Second, you have less information about your opponents hands. Third, the book example has a flush draw present, so there is some value to be gained when draws call you down. Not so in this example, there are few hands which can profitably call a flop bet and a turn bet which are not way ahead of you.

It may be correct to bet here (I definitely would against 2-3 players so 4 is borderline for me) but I think you can often get yourself into trouble in these sorts of situations. The more likely your opponents are to call you down with second or bottom pair though (or ace high), the more correct it is to bet, so you have to take the caliber of your opponents into consideration.