View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Libs, Dems: What should we do about Miers?

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is correct. A major problem for the Democrats is that they give the appearance of playing politics with everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically they do.

[ QUOTE ]
I voted for Kerry, but jesus, it was annoying to listen to him. If he could have given a straight answer to hard questions and actually believed in anything, he would have won in a walk. (Ask him if he would have invaded Iraq given the information Bush had in 2003, and his answer: "You bet I might have.")

[/ QUOTE ]

Soooooooooo true. Excellent analysis IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Miers is not simply not qualified to be a Supreme Court justice and would not be independent from Bush, and we should vote against her on those grounds. IANACS (I am not a constitutional scholar), but I do not believe this warrants a filibuster. In any case, Dems can probably find enough discontent Republicans to win a confirmation vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly the Miers nomination is in biiiiiigggggggggg trouble. Dubya's alienated his base and that's not a good thing for him. Interesting in that it seems that the Republicans are standing on a matter of principle here which is that Miers qualifications make her a lousy choice irregardless of how she views Roe v. Wade. I readily admit though that if Bush nominates a highly qualified candidate who supports Roe v. Wade, the din of protest from Republicans would be overwhelming. It would be interesting to see if the Republicans in the Senate would support such a candidate. They have in the past more or less (Ginsburg is one example).