View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: OT: Unsatisfied with goals acheived

[ QUOTE ]
My goals went to hell this year. Hell, STT's weren't even in the plan. Here's a thought for you, though: Why not form a comprehensive plan for the next say 5 years (or longer), and figure out where poker fits in the grand scheme things for you. For instance, say you wanted to retire in 10 years and live a life a leasure. You are an analysis king, just work out what it would take to get there and see if you can form a plan using all your assets and skills to get there. That is, don't just set arbitrary poker goals, try making them part of the bigger picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome post. When I read Aleo's reply I was thinking something along these lines but couldn't find the words. Fnord nailed it. So it sounds as though you hit your dollar amount for the year and are left feeling unsatisfied? Maybe there's a deeper issue at play here that has nothing at all to do with poker (or, at least the dollar amount won from poker).
Aleo, the words from your reply that really stuck out like a sore thumb for me were your reference to a previous failed career as a fulltime pro. Maybe deep down, your afraid to set a possibly unavchievable goal when it comes to poker because you've already been there and done that (and failed) and you're afraid to try again.
Maybe it would help to look at setting goals that involve what role poker is going to play in your life over the next 5+...10+ years.