View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: RakeRebate.net ... my stats aren\'t showing up and no response

I signed up there since a friend recommended them, they didn't get back to me for 3 days, so I emailed them asking what was up (I did the UB 28% rb). No response, so I used a web form they had (which in the backend also just emails them) and finally got a response telling me my username and login.

Except that my username was "Email: blah@whatever.com" so that "Email: " was actually in the username. They use your email address as the unique identifier in the database (which is a poor design actually), which is okay in some cases, but they also use that field to directly email you.
So in this case, it appears that someone copy and pasted something into a form on their end, which made my username that.
I logged in with it, saw that there was no record of any of my rake being collected, and chalked that up to a delay in UB talking to them.
I then changed my password from what they gave me over to something else.

Understandably, that then logged me out since the password my cookie was setup with did not match the new one.

I then tried to login with my new password and it wouldn't work.

I clicked the link for "forgot my password" and in that case, it simply emails you the password (or creates a new one and emails you that, or asks you to click on a link which resets it - either of which are actually preferrable in terms of security).
But it doesn't recognize my email because it wants to see "Email: blah@whatever.com" since that is what is in the database - "blah@whatever.com" won't work. Except that the javascript in the form sees that "Email: blah@whatever.com" isn't a valid email address, so it won't let it submit.
And even if it did, I have a feeling their code on the backend would just try to email that "address" anyway and then fail since it is not an email address and instead a malformed string.

So now I can't get into my account.

Again, I emailed them, no response. Then I filled out a form on the website and... no response.

I have created many online sites, know database creation, front end code, backend security processing, and basically am pretty confident in my skills at this sort of stuff. I have done enough that I can see what they were trying to do and what went wrong.
But since they are totally ignoring me, I guess at this point I have pretty much written off the site since they don't have my Neteller info and won't respond to my emails.

Just so that I don't say only bad things about them, I do think that they have a nice visual design of the site. But I can't really say much else about them that is good at this point.