View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Re: my first preflop question in a long time...

[ QUOTE ]
8 people in, if your hand was average you'd have 12.5% equity, you need 7% equity with those junk hands. I haven't pokerstoved it, but I think J3 / 92 etc are unlikely to hit that threshold, and if they do it's very marginal. Make it a 2 or 3 gapper and you can probably call. Still gotta worry about the reraise though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some people are forgetting that it's not your equity that matters. If you got to see the whole board, then you'd only need 6.67% equity, which would be close to any two. The thing is, you're only paying to see the flop, and if you miss, you're mucking. I think more accurate calculations would be seeing what percentage of flops you like (ie. two pair, trips, straight draw, flush for suited cards, etc). Here's another example I'll use to point out what I'm saying. If I'm in a situation where I have 5% equity, on the flop, from only those backdoor draws, that doesn't mean I can call a bet getting 19:1 on my money, unless I'm guaranteed both cards for that single bet.