View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Results and Panel Comments

[ QUOTE ]
That is the stituation you would have here. You all have $100M and you're playing for a $1M. What's the point? You want to either take a very large portion of someone's stack or not even bother. Why? Because what does it matter if you now have $101M when the rest of the field averages $15M?

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the concept of declining marginal utility and it entered my mind that was what he was talking about. However, his stated reason was: "The value in raising off the limpers, IMO, is greatly reduced by the fact that you will usually win a small pot, or lose a big one." This is a basic cash game concept and has to do with the 100BB stacks. You always want to try to avoid these situations, regardless of what the field's average stack is.

So my question was mainly what added significance did a lower field stack provide to the situation? It seemed to me that it had more to do with the value of the chips you lose than the ones you gain. However, your explanation seems to essentially be saying to turn down a +EV situation (just that your argument is its less EV than it may appear), which I don't think is what he meant.