View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: 3bet preflop with AK check flop?

[ QUOTE ]
2 cold calls of an UTG raise. Super draw heavy board with high-ish connected cards that help cold-calling hands. These people probably are not folding.

Next, any hand that actually folds here is a bad result for you, because if you hit on the turn they're damn near drawing dead against you. The hands you really want to fold out are JQ to save your K out and A9/A10, but of course those hands are not folding. Little PPs you don't want folding and JJ/QQ you don't want folding, because you extract from them if you hit a turn and they're drawing so thin. Nobody who has a piece or a draw is folding, so the only hands you might fold out are things like AJ/AQ/KQ, and you actually want them in the pot because they are so far behind you.

So a check seems right to me. You get a free look at the turn, avoid the possibility of a checkraise/donkbet, and a flop bet would accomplish nothing of real value for you. It leaves you in the dark a bit on the turn, but that's a small disadvantage compared to the major advantages of checking the flop.

And fwiw, I don't think a check here stinks of AK as badly as others if you have been varying the flop play on your sets and overpairs a bit in the session so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it will take you a decade to attain enough posts to earn the title "veteran" posting such in-depth responses. I sincerely thank you for your input and look forward to hearing from you in the future.