View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 01:59 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Not-so-handy handy-man incidents

i can't beat it, but i can definitely match it. i did the exact same thing less than a year ago.

i took delivery on a new washer/dryer. it came with a cord, but they charged me like $25 for it. i was in home depot and saw they had them for like $12, so i figured i could buy that and return the best buy one since it was still in its packaging. bear in mind i never return anything ever, and i have basically lost millions of dollars in unsent rebates uncashed checks (tax rebates, you name it).

so i buy it at home depot. i take it out of the bag. it has the looped ends that attach to the dryer taped together. i wasn't even going to plug it in, i had just heard about prong differences in cables and wanted to make sure i had the right one. for some reason holding it up to the socket just wasn't enough for me. so i plugged it in, with about the same result. big bang, everything goes dark. i'm stumbling around and wondering if i'm dead and my head has an intense panic/ring sense to it, heart is racing 90 miles per hour. i ended up having to go outside to reset the master breaker to my condo block because it turns out mine was defective.

damage ended up being that the outlet needed to be replaced, the breaker was broken, and the broken breaker had an electric arc that fried another breaker inside the box. i think i might have posted this at some time in the past, not sure.

now i'm an idiot of course. but i'm left scratching my head that when you order 'hot coffee' at mcdonald's it says 'warning: this coffee is hot' on the cup. looking at the packaging for the cord, there was no warning whatsoever about plugging it in if the other end isn't attached to a dryer. it blew because the ends were touching each other, but they're taped together from the factory...