Thread: Noisy Neighbors
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Noisy Neighbors

In LA, houses are typically VERY close together, and my neighborhood is no exception. My neighbor's backyard, which has a pool and a hot tub, is literally 15 feet away from the back of my house, where the bedrooms are. These neighbors have a daughter who I'm guessing is in high school.

Two out of the last three Friday nights, she's been back there with 10-15 of her friends drinking, diving in the pool, and cackling loudly until 1AM or later. I'm pretty sure the parents are away. Two weeks ago when this happened I walked over there and fairly calmly asked that they quiet down and told them I have a baby in the house. While I walked away, I could here them laughing and wondering whether I was allowed to walk onto "their" private property. I called the cops after another hour of noise after this, but I think they probably just drive by on the street with the windows open. That doesn't do any good, because it wouldn't be loud unless you're in my house or behind theirs. So that went well.

Last night it happened again, and I tried to ignore it but ended up not sleeping much, partially because of being pissed off. I was obviously a kid once and can appreciate a little fun, and it's not like they've got Van Halen back there, but this is [censored] with my life now.

My current plan: walk over there when the parents are back and try and have a reasonable discussion. If they didn't know the daughter was drinking with friends and she gets busted, that's obviously now her problem. Plan B: write a letter begging them to please quiet down.

Anybody have any other ideas? I'm trying not to be a dick while simultaneously not be a pushover.