View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Re: The Sociology of Poker?

[ QUOTE ]
Does any of this apply to online play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the OPs question is actually more one of group psychology than sociology really. The difference in my mind really being like the microcosmic scale of a poker game. What you have isnt so much sociological roles but individuals reacting to other individuals.

I think anyone whose put allot of hands in online can definately attest that the 'mood' of a table is definately not a static thing and can change fairly dramatically with the introduction of a single trouble maker.

I think the line between reacting to a single players style and more of a group dynamic shift is a pretty subtle thing. Anyone who is making judgement decisions is definately going to be affected by the players and combinations of players often without having insight into this.

I think its really hard to say when this tendancy becomes something usefull to us. Sometimes you just get a feel of the table and while your always a slave to ev your forecasts and estimates are definately tied to whats going on around you. I think this is much more so in shorthanded play.