Thread: B&M Question
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: B&M Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Namely - how much do can/should I sit with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Always sit with the max. If you play in a room with no max, then just make sure you have one of the top 4 or 5 stacks at the table (unless you like playing a short stack strategy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect to my fellow poster, everything up to the parenthesis is absolutely horrendous advice for a beginner. Ed Miller has made this case in GSIH if you want to read fairly concise summary of the argument, so I won't even try to do it justice. I'll just say that if your enjoyment of poker comes largely from trying to increase your expectation, and if you don't walk in expecting to be one of the better players at the table, then you DO like playing a short stack strategy. It's a matter of personal taste, but only in the sense that folding KJo in middle position to a raise is a matter of personal taste. Someone else may prefer to play hands and gamble, but I like to win the money.

If you are new to NLHE, and you play a large stack strategy, you won't win money. Whether you have fun paying for lessons is up to you, but you won't win money until you're able to outplay your opponents at a much more complex game than short-stack NLHE.