View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Ebay \'Power Selling\': talk me out of it

I did some serious selling for a while. The fees are what gets you - between Paypal (if you accept it, which almost everybody does), and the eBay fees, you're paying quite a bit.

What I did was travel to 13 Pearl Jam concerts, buy posters (dated for the day of the show with unique artwork and limited to around 300 per show), and sell them far higher than what I paid for them. My brother and I went to a show in Chicago (about 7 hours away) for just one night to buy posters. There were only 300 printed, and we managed to get 33 of them, even when we were only allowed to buy one at a time and had to go to different stands so the merchants didn't know (they had a one per customer rule). The posters sold for $20 each at the show, but would sell for $60 and up afterward. Plus we got to enjoy a show I wanted to go to anyway. Posters from their shows at Madison Square Garden sold for $300 on ebay, but sold out seconds after going on sale at the show.

The key is knowing a lot of stuff about what is worth money and what isn't. Go to a lot of in-person auctions in your area. I would suggest buying box lots as cheaply as possible at the local auctions and then sell the items in the box one at a time.

It's a lot of legwork, but it can be fun too if you like going to auctions, flea markets, garage sales, etc.