View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 07:41 PM

Default C-bet Quiz... again

[ QUOTE ]
Assume you open raise from MP with 2 cards, the button and one of the blinds call.
The flop comes with 3 cards, the blind checks, what's your play?

Now assume you are the button, MP raises, you smooth call, and the blind comes in.
3 cards come on the flop, the blind checks, MP bets 1/2 pot,
What does he have?
What do you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was actually meant to start discussion on typical hand ranges in Mid-stakes NL games. I am sorry that I made it intentionally vague, but it is not meant as a "What should I do in this position?" post, but more of a hand reading excercise.

The hand that made me think of this was actually from 400NL on Stars. Here was the specific action. (Note the preflop caller was UTG, not the blind, which changes the hand a bit. I remembered the hand incorrectly. I would like a general discussion of continuation betting when one player has checked to the PFR'r, and there is one left to act.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($361)
BB ($654.20)
UTG ($452)
UTG+1 ($475.15)
MP1 ($110.45)
MPB ($477.15)
MP3 ($489)
CO ($94)
Button ($398.10)

Preflop:
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MPB raises to $16</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $16, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $12.

Flop: ($54) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MPB bets $24</font>, Button calls $24, UTG+1 folds.

The specific question is:
What hand ranges do you think this action represents?

MP is agressive, but knows when to fold. He is capable of raising a wide range including suited connectors UTG, or complete trash with position. Very rarely out of line, and relatively tight post flop.
Button is a calling station, but has a vague idea of implied odds and hand values.
No read on UTG, but seems to be an average player for these limits.