View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: $1/2 NL quads on river...

"I'm not sure I understand. You make the same whether he pushes or you push and he calls. I suppose that if you bet a small amount (or just checked) to entice a push, then there's a reasonable chance he won't bite. After all, the pot is chooped if you have an A. And you're not likely to call with anything weaker than an A.

If he's convinced you have an A, it makes little sense for him to push because you're almost definitely going to call, and if the pot gets split, and you'd both be donating some extra money in rake because theres more money in the middle (depending, of course, on rake rules, etc)."

i was trying to express that, in most situations, there is a margin in there where the opponent will call a push but check behind himself, like if i had been semi bluffing and made the nut flush on the river and he had been drawing to a lower flush... but, with quads vs a nut full, that little area disappears...

my point: there is almost zero advantage in checking to him, since even though he will like bet the only hand he could call with, he'll also call with any hand that he'll bet. if there is any chance that he'll check behind (maybe he's sure it's a split or somehow is scared of quads...), then it's advantageous to push...

my brian hurts. i feel like i'm doing a logic puzzle. i should post this in poker theroy and see what they come up with.