Thread: NL v. limit
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: NL v. limit

[ QUOTE ]
Even though this has been discussed several times I don't get bored with the limit vs NL debate.

Really the easier of the 2 depends on the person and whether they excel and enjoy Math or Reading skills more. Sort of like asking whether science or math is the more difficult subject.

So I believe the answer is different for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you can still enjoy the topic. I know it's a common one, but since I formed a strong opinion I felt like throwing it out there. I know Ciaffone and Malmuth/Sklansky have been arguing their sides for a many years.

While I believe I can make more money in no limit (primarily because I punish mathematical mistakes that others make more than in limit), I also believe it to be a more difficult game. It's much more stressful and I find I need to think longer and more carefully in order to make the best decisions.

Partly, I think it's a function of the low limits I play. I do fine at 2-2 and 2-3 no limit and at 6-12 limit, but I find no limit to be more profitable. I can play 6-12 limit on auto-pilot even against out there players. Whereas I have to have it pretty well together to play no limit. I'm sure things get more interesting at higher limits, but even then it seems that limit is the easier game.

For a while, I thought limit was harder, but that's until I learned to adjust to the nature of the game rather than trying to play it the way I played no limit at the time.

Since I find most players aren't that good at these limits, I think limit is a better choice for them as they'll usually lose their money more slowly. I choose no limit when it's available, but might start playing limit if I feel NL will be more difficult.

Consistent with what you say, I find the math very easy which may be why limit seems easy. Based on the structure of the games, I get the feeling that limit is easier regardless of limit and opponents. I don't get that many physical reads, but I usually have some idea what people have. Not sure if you consider that a read.

I'm not sure how well I expressed the thought before, but I think while the decisions are more difficult in NL and that overall it's a more difficult game, I think it's harder to make money in limit. You need more consistency and you also need more luck. Once you get beyond the short term, the luck obviously becomes a less significant factor. In NL, the high reward of a good decision compensates for its difficulty.

I say all this after having maybe 1000x as many playing hours/table in limit as opposed to no limit.

It might also have something to do with the fact that almost every book I've read focused on limit and not no limit.