Thread: Tourny Hints?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Tourny Hints?

I've been playing in a weekly tournament, about 30-40 people, where the blinds start out at 25xBB. How should this affect my play, from say a tournament that starts at 50x or 100x, or even from a full ring game?

The players aren't terrible, though mostly vary between being too loose or too passive. The biggest note, is that _everyone_ seems to understand that 3xBB is a proper raise, and my 4xBB+1 raises are seen as overbets, and tend to either get too much respect, or raised all-in with better hands — though sometimes that just means any Ace. Should I adjust my bet size?

I feel I'm doing well playing weak-tight for the first round, then tight aggressive until getting toward the end, and then loose-aggressive. I'm taking the pot down on the flop with a pot sized raise, but don't seem to be able to stack someone unless it's responding to their aggression. Any advice as to how I could be more efficient?

A few of my shortcomings:
• I might be laying down too many hands I would usually call with in a ring game.
• I'm failing to value bet the river with mediocre holdings, even if I think they might be best.
• I need to step up the loose/aggression earlier than I am.

Anyone else have more experience they can share with this kind of thing?