View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: I guess MLB had to create drama somehow...

I have to agree with FishNChips. The call last night was somewhat close. The 85 World series call at first base was not close at all. Unofrtunately, I have never gotten over it and still think of the 85 cards as world series champs (much like the 02 Miami Hurricanes in college football, only worse).
The name Deckinger still causes pure hatred in my heart.

IN case you couldn't tell, I'm a big-time Cards fan.

Also, the White Sox are not a team that MLB would push conspiracy guys. They are not an attractive option. I was in Champaign, IL last night (about 140 miles from Chicago and 175 from St. Louis), and the main fox game was the Cardinals and the Cardinals were drawing more interest at about a 3:1 ratio in the sports bar where I viewed the game.

There is no conspiracy. There are plenty of umpires/referees/officials across all major sports that are incompetent and fall subject to normal human biases in their decision making. Often times, a call was very close or they just didn't see it right. Just as often, they go into a game with a preconception of who should win, or who the favored team is, which actually leads them to call the game more favorably to that team. Moreover, they can be intimidated. I've watched enough big ten basketball in my life to know that some home courts are worth 8+ points in favorable calls per game. I think it's a stretch to say there is any conspiracy.

Except in the NBA, I don't trust that Stern guy at all.