View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: 160K in 1 month for a NL novice- easy?

[ QUOTE ]
1. calling james a poker novice if he has playing very high stakes limit games is just plain incorrect and misleading

2. i wonder if someone will make a thread if he goes on a 40K downswing or breaks even for a month. most people on this forum only see one side in the threads that are made.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say poker novice, I said NL novice, which is exactly how he presented himself in the interview he did. See the title? You can have all the limit experience you want but if you haven't played very much NL you are a NL novice in my book.

as for #2, it's been presented as mathematical fact by people "in the know" on these boards that NL has less variance than limit. Thus running at 15BB/100 in NL over "many many hands" should mean that it is incredibly unlikely to have that kind of 40K loss in a month or some such, because that would be a freak occurence on the order of many standard deviations. But yes, point well taken that most people do only see one side of the coin in poker, hence why they think a guy who wins $1 million on TV is a millionaire when oftentimes this isn't close to the truth.