View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: running bad/feeling good/trying to be careful/inner thoughts

Why do you do better in the bigger games than your comfortable games? I have a theory about that.

I play SNGs and find I do best in the $55 and $109 games. I don’t do quite as well in the $22 or $33 games. And I do poorly in the $215 and $320 games.

The smaller games are loaded with weak players. They call too much and bluff too much. All you have to do is play solid and bet for value. Don't bluff much because they will call. Their bad play does create problems for me though, they are hard to read, I have to fold the best hand often and I have to call with the worst hand often. But over time my solid play gets the money.

Many players learn to beat these games by playing a solid but predictable game, it is easy to multi table playing this way.

The bigger games are full of these kinds of players. They still win moderately because there are still enough weak players around, just not as many.

I beat these bigger games by playing solid against the weak players and taking advantage of the predictable play of the solid players. It takes work to determine who is who, so I can only play one table at a time. But I get a very nice win rate this way. Against the solid players I bluff successfully, rarely call with a loser, and rarely fold a winner.

My troubles begin again when the limit gets too big. Now there are too many players who are very solid, but mix up their play to the point where they are hard to read again. For me, that starts to happen at the $215 games.