View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Unimproved AK is costing me money...........

I had a lot of trouble with this early also. But I realized how to play them.

1st off if you know you are betting the flop and turn bet like you have it. Other players sense any weakness they will be more likely to call you down or bluff. here is a perfect example.

Your AK with a board of QJ63 and the other player has 76. Bet like you got it because it might make him fold the turn.

------------------
Ok things I consider.

The player: what does he call down with? A high, any pair, any draw? Is he capable of bluffing? Has he ever bluffed?

The board: whats the texture? A board with a flush draw and some crazy str8 draw I would continue betting vs one
opponent. More than not he has some crazy draw. You get a flop of T44 rainbow and the guy calls you and he is not known for calling down with A high.. well now you have to see he has a T, 4, or a wired pair.

# of players: Bet into <3, check into 3+. With the money in the pot with only 2 players and your flop bet it is +EV to bet. With 3 players it is much more likely they have something.

if there are no flush draws, a low str8 draw, I have a backdoor flush (assume 2 suited for me), then I can assume my overs are good. Id bet here into 3-4 players. Here you have a 1/3 chance to win based on the backdoor draw and the overpairs. But only if your A or K wont make someone else a better hand. You can get other hands you dont want to fold even if a couple people call increasing your chance to win.

If you have totaly missed the flop there is no shame in checking to 3+ players. Hey you missed. More than not someone hit.

If you get raised on the flop look at the board. Can you catch up? Are your outs tainted? If you totally missed the flop (red cards, black double suit flop with low to medium card, no draw) fold the hand.

If I got outs I call and see the turn. But then this depends on the player too. Will he raise HU with a draw in position?

There are times you will fold on the river.

BOARD: 9s 7s, 5d TURN: 2c, RIVER: 6s

What can you beat here thats what you have to think.

Now if you bet/called the flop, bet/check raised the turn and you got nothing vs a single opponent. Unless this guy is a big bluffer you gotta fold.

If you got 2 callers on a coordinated board and you have no pair or draw then most likely one of them has you beat. I usually find one has a pair, one has some draw.

If you have outs and are raised on the flop. Id call and fold unimproved on the turn UNLESS the other player is capable of pulling a move. I know some players that never know when to stop bluffing.