View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Discussion about poker for a living

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

5. Leaves a hole in your CV you will have to explain somhow. Future jobs prefer real life experience, not bb/100

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a very good post in general--very well thought out and articulately composed. My only comment is this:

I own a small business--a law firm. Maybe I am more open-minded about it than most employers would be, but I would love to see an applicant who had succeeded at making a summer living off poker. I would have plenty of trust in the applicant's ability to make sound decisions under pressure, to learn and apply concepts necessary for the job, to be self-motivated and self-confident. These are all generally traits that employers care about, whether they think about it or not.

There are employers out there who will share these attitudes, so I am not completely convinced that it is a hole in the CV that needs explaining--and to the extent you need to explain, you explain it more or less as I have here, I think.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

True and I hope to get an interview with an employer who does appriciate it. The fact your you're a 2+2 poster will undoubtably colour your opinion. Two things I will say are firstly that my post is perhaps a little Uk-specific. I don't think gambling is as accepted here as it is in the states (although I'm aware there are plenty against it over there) and so bringing it up suggests to most people that you are reckless and unreliable. They have these images before you can start to explain about EV, bankroll management and so forth. Second, bringing it up in interviews is very much a feeling thing. Young 20s men are much more likely to be receptive than 50+ women

Also kudos on calling me articulate while posting a quote than not only included a horrible typing error also involved me using completely the wrong word. Fixed here to save embrassment.