View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: 109: early AK hand

[ QUOTE ]

With that in mind, I think a case could be made that our hero is only beating KK, AJ. Splitting with another AK, and losing to AA, QQ, AQ. Is my hand range too narrow? If not, maybe this is a good fold???

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, the whole "preflop range" discussion going on in this thread is totally ridiculous. Just because somebody min-reraises you from the BB doesn't mean they have aces or kings.

In fact, almost anytime an opponent has a hand that strong and knows that they will be heads-up... they try to get as many chips as possible into the pot (as many as they think you will call.) So, simply in terms of pattern recognition I'd say this player has two goofy cards far more often than a premium hand. Weak aces are definitely in the running, too.

Sure, he has a set or AQ sometimes... but it's a pretty healthy majority of the time that he'll turn over an under pair or weak ace.

As far as Scuba's question about the turn, how could you not like his turn play? Obviously he can't fold, so you are suggesting a raise. Why raise him off nothing when he may be willing to bluff at the river, and why let him check-raise you with a real hand or draw when you may have been able to showdown for less on the river?

Irieguy