View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: $55: Overpair in level 1

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To those who advocate folding preflop - I like a coldcall. You are way getting the implied odds to stack someone when you hit your set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You are betting 60 after the raise, you hit a set once every 8.5 times on the flop, and you might get paid off one out of two times you hit the set. It's still reasonable, but it's not completely obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with 1 raiser and 4 cold callers there is a good chance someone will pair their overcards or already has a pocket pair and will at least make up the difference to make it a good call. I don't think it's obvious either at first, but to an astute player it should be.

You'll get paid way more than 1 in two times where you hit a set in this spot. You'll stack someone or get a multiway pot one time in two and at least get some chips (equal to what you need to make the call right) when you hit your set more often that 1 in 2 times when you hit in this situation. Sorry for the ramble. The odds are there though. Folding is bad.

(odds of hitting a set or better here, 7.5:1, real pot odds here, 4.375:1, the call is easy)