View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Question for Canada guys with Poker ONLY income who pay child sup

For court purposes it sounds like you should be proving to the court what tournaments are all about...that however much you have in tournament chips is meaningless. To that end, I suggest you purchase the WPT DVD and bring it with you to court. Hand it to the Judge. Obtain a copy of the rules and setup for a WPT tournament. Finally, obtain the results of the WPT tourneys you supposedly monied in and show the judge how your name is no where to be found. I cannot fathom why your attorney has not done these things.

I would fire your attorney. I would hire another attorney at a reduced rate only for the purposes of appearing in court and exercising your rights, filing paper work, etc. I would present your own case. Show the judge exactly how much you have via your money transfer records, bank accounts, rent or mortgage payments, any other fixed expenses etc. Come clean about what you make, about the volitile nature of your income, etc. Tell the truth. Even offer that if you do score big(say $100K+) in one of these tournaments, you will set aside 10% as a college/trust fund for your son. Demonstrate exactly what you are capable of doing and why.

Normally I would never give the above advice, but you are in a bad situation with a bad attorney. Plus it involves your son. The upside of being truthful in statements and truthful in disclosure is tremendous here.

BTW, hope this is a lesson for everyone to listed and be a disciple of Tom Leykis.