View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: 109: early AK hand

Nice post, I think this hand encompasses a lot of the difficulties with AK nicely.

One line I like is to keep it simple and bet the flop strongly. The small re-raise out of position preflop could be a wide variety of hands, and a healthy bet on the flop will regularly take down what is a nice pot already, or get some valuable information. I would tend to check behind the turn with that play, for fear of folding the best hand to a checkraise. Then the river you would likely have another big decision, but it might have been easier...

Personally, I don't think the guy is "making a play" on you by re-raising suited cards like JTs pre flop. If he did, he likely would've led flop with a flush draw trying to get you to fold a medium pair... Also, I find that in sng's people are FAR more likely to check turn hoping for cheap river card, rather than make a large semi bluff out of position.

At the same time, I doubt he is bluffing. It almost feels like he DID hit his 2 outer for a set on the turn or river, perhaps flopping it. AQ is possible too.

I wonder what happens if you take back the betting lead pre flop with another raise...