View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Anybody else seen \"A History of Violence\" (Possible Spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's fine if you don't like a film, but at least take a look and think about what the filmmaker is trying to say before blasting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you actually think there is depth or meaning to the concept? all of the nature/nurture, ability/inability to change yourself, acceptance, etc can be summarized in about one sentence and i'm not going to offer that for your 'critique'.

i watch and love all kinds of movies with all kinds of unrealistic moments. if every aspect of the film is going to be this over the top, though, i want to at least be entertained by how over the top it is. do you think i think about this kind of stuff if i see a vin diesel movie?

i went into this movie knowing nothing about it other than the BASICS of the premise (guy defends diner and might be unusually skilled at fighting) and its high ratings on rotten tomatoes. i was expecting something thought-provoking. the concept is simple. somebody saying "[INSERT SUBJECT]: think about it..." is not an all-expenses paid trip to blowjobsville in my book. the unrealistic moments were so utterly and distractingly awful that they could not be looked over in the context of what is supposed to be a purposed film. i truly do not nitpick over this kind of stuff, it was like somebody setting off an airhorn in the theater every time it happened.

i did bring up stuff that was just about being awful too, like the lake scene. that has more to do with the director jerking off on camera and pandering to idiot audience dramatism than it does with a lack of realism.

you're an idiot if you think i'm incapable of "discovering" the "meaning" of the movie or that i would harpoon an otherwise great movie over a lack of realism.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...i understand you didn't like the movie, but I can't imagine why it has provoked such a strong reaction from you...but to each his own.

I enjoyed the film. I found it interesting and thought-provoking, and I enjoyed the filmmaking. I'm a Cronenberg fan.

Guess we're just on different trains of thought here.