View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: buying real estate

The answer to your question is basically, yes, you can go into an office and start asking questions.

Personally, I would try to find a referral from a family member or friend who had a good experience with a buyer's agent.

If you can't find anyone, find a few real estate offices in your area, call them up and tell them you are ready to buy your first house and you'd like to talk to a buyer's agent. I recommend that you call a couple of offices. I'd consider sticking to the big names (Century 21, Prudential, Remax, etc.), but that is up to you. Meet with them. Interview them. They will be working for you.

Be very candid about your situation. How much you would use for a down payment, ball park what you've been making playing poker, what range you want to spend for a house (or have them tell you what you can afford on your income). You'll find out if someone is interested in helping you out or not pretty quick. If they are not interested, thank them for your time and move on.

Most agents have a "team" of other professionals that work in the business (attorneys, mortgages brokers, insurance agents, inspectors, etc.). A good agent will turn you onto a mortgage broker who can help you with your "special situation." Ideally, you will want an independent mortgage broker that can provide a full range of products. I will tell you that YOU CAN GET A MORTGAGE WITHOUT PROVING INCOME. There may be special stipulations like the perecntage down payment that needs to be made or more than likely a slightly higher interest rate, but the bottom line is that it can be done. (PM me if you want to know what mortgage company I use. It is a national company.)

Stipulations: I do not derived the majority of my income from the P word. I am not a real estate agent. I am not a mortage broker. I do, however, buy houses, fix them up and resell them for a profit. I do know quite a bit about the industry. There ARE OPTIONS available for you.

Last resort: If you can't find an agent or a mortagage broker. Call a local real estate investment group. They'll be helpful. (I am lucky. The largest one in the country is here in Atlanta.) They'll have mortgage brokers that would love to have your business. You may also find an investor that would offer owner financing on a house they alrady own (negating the need for a mortgage). That situation is a little harder to find, but does exist.

I think that should get you started. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any specific questions.