View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:18 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Anybody else seen \"A History of Violence\" (Possible Spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
I liked it a lot. This is not a simple popcorn movie. If that's what you wanted, I can see how you might be disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you [censored] kidding?

i was disappointed that it was a popcorn movie without the fun parts. i was expecting something deeper, more subtle, thought-inspiring, etc. instead i've got a bunch of crap like:

- a guy who knows there is an immediate and mortal threat to his family and doesn't have them get the [censored] out of town immediately, but somehow cares after he walks to work

- tough and smart outlaws. so tough they don't make references to 'casually' killing clerks at a motel, and don't even pay any mind to it after discovering it. so smart that they stay low in small towns. they're such good criminals that they have no money. but they can rob for it, right? and what's the best way to stay low? it's certainly not taking the money when offered and leaving. you've got to lock the door and make a production about killing people randomly to show that you "mean business." that way you'll...get the money that has already been given to you, with all of the risks of being there too long while somebody could have cell phoned the cops or could have seen what was happening from the street outside.

- ridiculous fight scene after ridiculous fight scene. got a few heat-packing thugs in your front yard? no problem! just grab the one who has his gun out, hook his arm, and punch him in the nose for about fifteen seconds because the other ones will just stand there and watch for a while. fights like the high school one are very common as well. because everybody takes out multiple people with standing strikes, there's no wrestling around or anything.

- a rich and successful criminal brother who brings you to his house to see you before killing you. understandable that he wants to see you. understandable that he doesn't want to mess up his house with gunplay and blood. not understandable that he doesn't have you taken somewhere outdoors where you could be shot, or have other people around with guns drawn incase you get loose, or can't quickly retrieve and gun and can't hit you within several feet of himself. it's also a nice touch that he goes for his keys instead of shooting the lock or even better running away, because going for the keys sure wouldn't have been a popcorn moment. this is maybe the most amazingly bad role i have ever seen a good actor take.

- just killed a bunch of people in a beautiful mansion? need to clean off some blood? is it night-time? no problem. you shouldn't use one of the 800 bathrooms in the house. since it's a house you've never visited and you can see in the dark, you know that there's a lake in the backyard. you also have a time machine to make it become morning. instead of using the shower you should chuck the gun and then FALL TO YOUR OVER THE [censored] TOP DRAMATIC KNEES AND SPLASH WATER ONTO YOUR WOUND WITH ONE ARM FOR REDEMPTION OR SOMETHING.

- some "message" of unwelcoming tolerance with the dinner scene at the end which wouldn't have even been poignant but becomes laughable when you consider the fact that there is roughly a 0.00% chance that the little girl is going to remain quiet for the 10 minutes it takes to draw out the scene and dramatically get a plate for you.

this movie [censored] sucked, dude. to say it's anything other than popcorn is a joke. that's not what i was wanting or expecting, but i would have liked it better if it were MORE popcorn since it's obvious that this movie had no chance of ever bearing meaning.