View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Ask the Dental student....Q\'s, fears, concerns, hopefully answered

[ QUOTE ]
The other day my roommate got [censored] up, and went outside to talk on the phone. He tripped in the driveway, and landed face first on the cement cracking his front two teeth in half. Should we look for the teeth for him to take to the dentist when he goes, or are they pretty much worthless to him?

By the way, my friend busting up his grill, and then trying to smoke a joint and slobbering all over it, is by far the funniest thing I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]\

I did the same thing 2 yrs ago at UGA walking back from downtown. Arguing w/ some fool who thought uncle joey was cooler than uncle jesse (WTF, i shoulda kicked his ass). Anyways, spun around, tripped, chipped front teeth. Called my dad at 3 am f'd up. No biggy.

Dont need the teeth. Sometimes an avulsed tooth can be reimplanted but a chipped tooth cannot be reattached. Depending on how big the chip is, they can go in with composite resin and just rebuild the tooth. A good esthetic dentist or just a good dentist really can make it look undistinguishable. The composite resin restoration lasts variable times basically depending on how good the dentist is at keeping the field dry, using bonding agents, and what not and how good the patient is at not eating like apples and [censored] that put a lot of stress on the tooth. 6-15 yrs or so. Then itll start to decay/stain along the margins and theyll have to redo it.

If your friend plans on bleaching his teeth for whatever reason, do it first.

If the chip is big and near the pulp of the tooth, you may need rt canal/crown if there is sensitivity but thats generally a simple procedure on anterior teeth.

Oh yah, tell your friend to hit the bong.

-JP