View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Discussion about poker for a living

My experience with last summer (That's the only poker summer I've seen. I didn't even know the rules of holdem a year ago. That kinda scares me.) is that the games got slightly tougher. Maybe the fish are out doing fun stuff while you and other winning players are trying to make a summer job out of it, resulting in tougher games. Another reason might be that the yearly autumn-effect of the wsop has worn off. It's not like the games are tough of course.

There are definitly downsides to having poker as a summer job. First of all, you might lose or break even over the summer. I had another job last summer, and that's likely good as I would be seriously depressed if my 2k downswing was all I had to show for the vacation. (Maybe I could have been about even if I was able to play twice as much since I didn't have a normal job. That would still be depressing though, and embarrassing.)

Another obvious downside is the social factor. When you work, you get to meet people during the day, and that feels good. Sitting alone in your room all the time is not what you're supposed to do at your age (or any age). There is of course an upside social factor too; if your friends want to go somewhere for a week or a weekend, you will never have trouble getting off from work if you want to go. But all in all, poker as a job is not good for your fun-with-other-people-summer.

Also, something about contributing to society. But wouldn't that be hypocritical of me to speak about.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm just listing downsides to it. I've seen from your posts that you've been running very hot in the NL$25; I've been there. But it won't last forever. Your current $ winrate is very sustainable at about NL$100 of course, and you won't stay down at the $25s until the summer probably. But don't get too worked up over poker yet is my advice.

(How many hands have you played?)